Saturday, November 14, 2015

Post-surgery Week 12



For the complete story please review my previous blogs on this subject:

Week 12

Day 78 (Thur) – I had a nice walk at work today.  It was a bit chilly but nice enough to get out on the track while making my way to the onsite medical clinic; to pick up a pillow they’d promised me on Tuesday.  I miss running on the track, I have good speed work memories on it.
Day 79 (Fri) – Today was the last physical therapy visit before seeing the doctor again:  The therapy session itself went very well, no big change really, but I did make sure to ask my therapist if she had any concerns about my returning to running.  Of course she said I had to take it easy and carefully, good but needless advice since I’m not going to risk myself.  She also suggested that I stretch, foam roll, and ice after each run even if I don’t feel like I need to.  Considering how tight my IT bands are without feeling it on a general basis, I will follow her advice on post run care. 
The easily recognizable Ragnar course signs are up around my neighborhood, it’s almost torture seeing them; the 2012 event I had participated in was during a painful time in my life, especially considering how things turned out in the end, but the weekend of running and race fun still calls out of me.
Day 80 (Sat) – This week’s ChiRunning lesson 7, first of three on one of the most important subjects ever, was about breathing; belly breathing to be specific.  One of the minor subjects touched on during this lesson regarded breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.  It’s very easy to do in a relaxed setting but not so easy to do when you are exerting yourself.  To me, this will be the hardest part of this week’s lesson to master; I’m a mouth breather when I run.  I push myself when I train and when I race; I don’t like to back off in a race and the point of training is to push your limits which means I have to breathe deep.  I can, and do, belly breathe usually but inhaling through the nose when I’m running hard doesn’t feel like I can get enough fast enough.
I put today’s lesson to practice at the Las Vegas Heart & Stroke walk/run 5k today.  Breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth worked great for speed walking; I was able to keep up with the oxygen demands my body made, I only slipped up when my mind wandered.  I honestly didn’t intend to do another walking race after feeling so frustrated after the last two events but since my company paid for the registration I decided to participate.  I intended to just use this walk for a decent half hour (plus) of exercise and light cardio, not to “race” in any sense. 
I really enjoyed myself at the race; the course was a new downtown route (to me) with a few decent hills and there were plenty of interesting things to look at (including a daylight view of The Smith Center for the Performing Arts and the World Market Center).  It kept my mind busy and challenged my body enough so that I didn’t fret over not being able to run, I just breathed and hustled.  The entire morning was pretty fun all around:  Charlene and my nephew Eli come to keep my company and encourage me and we were able to meet and chat with Mercedes, JC, and Ryan of the Mercedes in the AM radio show on Mix 94.1.  Starting a race with a smile on your face is a great way to set the mood.
Day 81 (Sun) – I wasn’t sore from yesterday’s walk but I wanted to take today off as much as possible just to rest up from the long week.  I rode the exercise bike for a while and got in a good bit of foam rolling and stretching afterwards.  The balance of the day I took care of household necessities and watched football.  Not the most exciting day but I didn’t need any more of that anyway.
Day 82 (Mon) – I spend the entire workday inside, from dusk till dawn (dark to dark including bus riding time).  The wind was whipping and nasty at the site I wasn’t going outside without it being an emergency (thankfully the wind died down before the end of the work day when I would be heading for the bus stop). 
My home physical therapy session was the only good work and physical effort I got in all day, and the warmest I felt since I got out of bed in the morning. 
Day 83 (Tue) – I worried this morning that it would be another bad weather day and that I’d be stuck inside again but it ended up being somewhat reasonable.  The weather was nice enough at times that I got in a nice mile of walking during one of the breaks in the wind.  I did try to concentrate on the ChiWalking breathing technique during the walk; it worked well except for the times the wind spiked and stole my breath.  heh

Day 84 (Wed) – Happy Veteran’s Day.  It was great to be off today; I go to sleep in a little, get my home physical therapy done early, and get things ready for going to California.  I packed my door mounted resistance tube “gym” after PT since I’ll need to use it Friday.  I also packed my green therapy band too so I could do the vast majority of the same exercises in the hotel room.  It’s important to me the get these exercises in, I’m not going to back off just because I’m not at home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment