Thursday, August 20, 2015

Labrums and Femurs and Hips, Oh My

I have officially begun the first leg of my journey towards a healthier running future and long happy hip life.

During the week building up to Wednesday morning’s (08/19/15) procedure I tried to get as many things prepared for the surgery and the weekend following it as possible: telling friends and family, preparing the house for my Sister's company, stocking the fridge and pantry so my sister doesn't have to try shopping for me, and setting things up for some level of comfort and ease while I recuperate.  I also put my race travel kit of toiletries and clothing in the downstairs bathroom for obvious reasons.  Having these kinds of kits sure comes in handy, even beyond races.  To prepare myself physically for surgery I took 10 days off of running or anything beyond easy walking, took low doces of OTC Motrin for 5 days, and performed 5 days of an Ice/Heat routine.  I didn't want to risk the possibility of inflammation in my hips or legs to start the surgery off.  

I didn't have any pre-surgery nervousness or fear, despite knowing that all surgeries have the possibility of becoming life threatening (the primary reason I bothered with personally informing people about this).  Truth be told, I've felt more anxiety at race start lines.  The rewards of fixing my hips is well worth the risks, pains, and hard work.  My decision was made and I feel that it's the right one for me.  A great sign of how the day would go was that
Charlene and I actually had a pretty smooth and easy start to surgery morning:  we arrived a few minutes early, had a chance to make additional plans for her during my operation, even shared a few laughs at my anesthesiologist's comments during our pre-surgery interview.  Here's the gist of what amused me - I'm sitting in a big bulky recliner, in a hospital gown, hair net on my head, IV in my arm, legs covered by a blanket and this exchange happens: 
Him- "Your resting heart rate is pretty low."
Me- "I'm a runner, my cardio is in pretty good shape."
Him- "Yeah, you look like a runner."
He actually wondered why I chuckled at the absurdity of his observation.  Oh well.       

The procedure was fairly late in getting started but neither Charlene nor I were of a mind to get annoyed by something out of our control.
When I was finally wheeled out of pre-op into surgery we both were ready to have this part done and over with.

After the surgery was completed, and I began returning to the waking world, the doctor told my sister about the work he'd performed and about the restrictions he wanted me to adhere to over the next few days and months.  Charlene asked about my ability to participate in certain events this coming November to which he emphatically said "No".  He wants me to get back on the road too but he doesn't want me risking the newly repaired and reattached Labrum.  We were given an instruction sheet for post-surgery requirements:  Icing the hip at 30 minute on/off intervals through the day,  leg elevation throughout the day, total rest as much as possible,  slow cautious walking with crutches as necessary and to tolerance, no left turns (heh, just kidding).
As far as post-surgery pain levels go, I've felt greater levels of soreness after my first marathons although this is going to last a lot longer.  The best example I can give of how my hip feels now is that my leg/hip joint feels like someone beat on it while I was unconscious.  It's not enough to make me take pain pills but it is very uncomfortable to move, lift, and bend.

I definitely have to say,  "Thank God for my sister and her insistence on being my Big Sister this weekend".  I've already needed her help enough to realize I could not have been self-sufficient these next few days.  Not to mention all of the very kind things she's doing around my house just because she cares and wants to make my home life easier.      

I won't lie and claim that what I'm going through isn't very frustrating: dragons are meant to fly not sit cave - bound but this is short term.  I'll ride it all out, follow the doctor's orders, and curb my longing to run.  The doctor, Sis, and I all agree that my running future is far more important than any race coming up in the next few months.  I am well aware of my priorities and no amount of instant gratification will deter me from them.


1 comment:

  1. Still smiling = awesome!! You'll be back to running soon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete