Sunday, September 27, 2015

Post-surgery Week 5

For the complete process please review my previous blogs on this subject:

The Surgery
Post-surgery Week 1
Post-surgery Week 2
Post-surgery Week 3
Post-surgery Week 4



Week 5
Day 29 (Thur) – I realized this morning that I really feel heavy all the time; not weight gain heavy, but tired muscles heavy.  It’s to be expected since I’ve been so inactive the last 29 days but it drains me both mentally and physically.  I know that this all has been messing with my sleep patterns.  Relaxing the mind and body isn’t easy to do when you’re convalescing especially when simple things and simple movements are part of what drains you so. 
I had to take the trash out this morning, as well as the recycling.  This 2 minute task took almost 10 minutes with all of the pushing and pulling, crutching up and down my steep driveway, having to rest multiple times, and repeatedly having to catch my balance.  
Perhaps the oddest part of the day was the fact that going to work was actually relaxing.  
The prospect of starting PT in the morning feels like hitting the landing on the 40th floor stairwell, sure I have 40 more to go but I can rest here and regain some strength and mental balance. 

Day 30 (Fri) – Physical therapy started off annoyingly this morning:  The packet of forms I was given to fill out was thicker than the ones I signed to buy my car, it took so long I was late starting PT.  I met with the Physical Therapist (after participating in the murder of an innocent tree) to tell him my story of running, core pain, the femur and labrum issues, the surgery, and finally about all I’ve done and not done during the last month.  I told him about the surgeon’s assistant telling us that I wouldn’t really need a transition period from using my crutches all of the time to not using them at all, the physical therapist agreed with Charlene and I that I would need a transition period but it wouldn’t have to be a long one.  He explained to me how he wanted me to walk with the crutches; putting more weight on the left leg but not total weight, how to heel strike and then roll through and off the toes, to lift the left foot above the ankle of the right one when stepping forward.  Because the forms took up so much time we didn’t spend a lot of time doing exercises but any start is a good start so I’ll take it.  
I practiced the method of crutch supported walking as much as possible throughout the day, trying hard to do it the way my PT explained.

Day 31 (Sat) – I crutch/walked a mile with Charlene this morning, at Mountain’s Edge Park.  I think I followed the new walking procedure pretty well, Lord knows it was tiring enough.  After we finished the walk we found some cool shade to rest in and to stretch.  Sis had to help me a little to get the stretching done, for balance and for a reminder, I wanted to perform the same stretches that I had routinely done after running.  All in all, my leg, hip, and knee felt good after the long walk even though it took quite a lot of time.   
We went to a new (to-me) restaurant for breakfast somewhat near the park, to kind of celebrate my first long walk and because we were both hungry.  I won’t be getting their pancakes again, assuming I every go there again and that I remember, but I’ll happily seek out their egg breakfasts.  
I ended up relaxing for the rest of the day, plus working on my recovery blog and icing.

Day 32 (Sun) – I ended up staying awake until sometime around 7 am to work on my blog, and because I couldn't get tired enough to go to sleep.  When I finally did get in a nap it didn’t last very long but it was good enough to reset my brain.  
On a whim I decided to try walking a few steps while heading into the shower: I quickly found out that my left leg doesn’t have a lot of strength in it and isn’t very useful for support. 
Later in the day Charlene and I went to a promising track club meeting; it was pretty interesting to see the “behind the scenes” stuff.   When Sis and I returned to her house a few hours later to drop her off I wanted to show Charlene that I was getting stronger so I walked around my car without crutches, keeping one hand on it at all times for support.  Thankfully I didn’t fall over or embarrass myself doing it.

Day 33 (Mon) – I tested myself at work today; to see if I can stand and sit without the aid of my crutches.  I had to brace myself on the arms of my chair but not a lot, I’m happy with that.  
Lately my knee hurts a lot when I straighten it with or without putting my weight on it, not under the knee cap but off to one side of the knee always in a particular spot.  I’ve also noticed that my left foot hurts as I move it and increase the weight I put on it.  I guess these are all of the little aches and pains that come along with using the leg again.  
I tried sidestepping tonight too, more tests to find out what I can do; it only worked a little better than walking forward which isn’t saying much.   
The first at-home PT session tonight went well though it took a little rooting around the house, I had to figure out a way to simulate the leg curl machine.

Day 34 (Tue) – Today at work was surprisingly good; I felt strong and well balanced.  I was able to move easier when I had to get up for ice or for nature brakes, I could even take several unsupported steps inside my office.  
I walked for my sister and brother in-law, crutch free, when they came over tonight for our special celebration and to watch the premier of “The Muppets”.  It was in no way graceful but it was under my own power, I’ll take that any day.

Day 35 (Wed) – 5 weeks down, 7 more to go.  
I was able to take 3 short walks at work today, from office to office.  I felt good enough doing them but my leg, hip, knee, and foot complain a lot during and after.  Thankfully icing makes quick work of the discomfort.  
I’ve been using a Patella strap on my knee when it starts to hurt:  The pressure pad can be placed right on the spot of pain and it seems to help a little.   
Tonight’s home physical therapy felt pretty good, it makes me feel  just a little closer to normal.  
I’m spending more and more time off the crutches when I’m at home, saving their use for when I’m very tired or when I’m going upstairs.  I worry about developing poor walking habits but every time I catch myself moving in awkward ways I stop, straighten up, think about my ChiWalking lessons, and then start moving again.

No comments:

Post a Comment